Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 6: A book that makes you sad


 I think that Katherine Paterson is an underestimated author.  I love everything that I've read by her.  And, this story is the first one that I read. I read this in my own 8th grade Language Arts class when I was 13.  After reading it, I wanted to get my own copy because I liked it so much.

Lyddie is about a young preteen girl in the middle of the Industrial Revolution who is sent to work as a maid at a tavern and later as a factory worker in a textile mill. While working at the mill, she is taken under the wing of one of the leaders working toward better working conditions.  And during her time as a factory worker she witnesses several things that are quite horrifying to a young girl, including a friend with turberculosis and having a close encounter herself while working.

I really like this book, but it is sad, because this girl, who was the same age I was when I read it, was forced to work in the factory and to try and provide for her desolate family.  She learns a lot about her self though, and eventually decides to go to college instead of giving in to her trials and problems.  It always makes me sad, though, thinking about this book and all of the problems that she had to face.  Still a favorite though.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment