Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 4: Favorite book of your favorite series

Harry Potter:  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling:

Book 3 is my favorite.  I like them all, but there is something about Harry finding out so much about his father and knowing that he's not truly alone but has someone in the wizarding world that's an adult (besides teachers and Hagrid) that is watching his back.

The first time I read any of the Harry Potter books was back in 2001, right after my 16th birthday.  My sister Bethany and I went out to DC to see my sister Sarah, who was living there.  And, to see N*Sync in concert...but that's another story.  :)  We went in August, when there was a ton of thunderstorms and heavy rain, and because of the time difference, I had trouble sleeping.  Sarah had all four books (the current 4 that were out at the time) and I spent my nights reading them.  I finished each book in 1 night, and the 4th book in about 2 night's time.

I remember after reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, that I was completely thrown for a loop.  I loved it.  I didn't see any of it coming with Sirius being a good guy, and then Scabbers, the rat, was a nasty guy that betrayed Harry's parents.  Eww... I totally loved the writing style.  I was on the edge of my seat during the entire book.  And although the remaining Harry Potter books in the series are all wonderful, this was the first time that I thought, when I was reading, "Wow.  This is what everyone was talking about."  The first two books didn't do it for me as near as much as this third one.   Loved it. 

Percy Jackson:  The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

What I really liked about this book?  I liked that there were people that died (I know that sounds morbid, but considering that most of Riordan's books are pretty light-hearted amid a emotionally heavy plot, he shows that with war there comes some sacrifice...)  I liked that the past of Luke came to light.  I liked that Percy was a completely awesome hero, with all of his fighting and taking down monsters and titans like it was nothing.  I love how his relationship with Annabeth progressed, and I liked that Riordan tied up a lot of loose ends, with the main examples being Nico and Hades' inclusion in the battle and the reappearance of a living oracle.

What I like most about these books, and especially about this last book in the series, is that you feel the entire time, that the most important person in the books is Percy.  He's the protagonist, and tells the story and for most of the series, it's implied that he will make a huge decision that will either cause evil to go away or to make evil come with Kronos coming alive.  And, that hero, turns out to be someone else.  Percy makes a choice, in the end, but he is not the one that saves everyone.

What I like though, is this:  Even though, at the very end of the series, Percy is not the amazing hero that was implied from the beginning, it is still an example that even the smallest choices can bring about consequences.  In this case, Percy did the right thing.  But, it's a good example in teaching students and children that regardless of how big or small they think the choice is, there will still be consequences for their actions. And, sometimes it's not the big choices that determine who you are as a person, but the small ones as well.  And even though Percy wasn't "the hero" because he didn't personally save the world (even though he kind of inadvertently did), he still had the strength and character of a hero throughout the series.  And one that most boys want to be like (kind of like a Greek Demigod Batman). 

No comments:

Post a Comment