Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 3: Favorite Series (for children)

It's a toss up between a few. That's cheating, right?  Well, if I have to narrow it down!

 I love Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.  Other notable book series that I enjoy(ed) as an adult or child:  Boxcar Children, Series of Unfortunate Events, Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Dealing with Dragons is the first one), and Artemis Fowl.  

But, I am just going to stick to two of my favorites.  While I really love Chronicles of Narnia, I sometimes feel like they are a little deep for kids.  Harry Potter, while being a children's series also tends to do that, especially with the very last book. 

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. 
---I already mentioned that Mark of Athena was the best children's book that I read this year.  This series gets criticism for being too juvenile (uh, it's target audience is 5th-8th grade boys), and having the same plot for each book.  I feel like that Riordan is creative enough with using different mythology sources with the plot, that it really doesn't bother me that Percy and his friends always fight a whole bunch of monsters on their quests.  All I care about, is that I enjoy reading them and their highly entertaining.  (And they get kids to read).

Harry Potter
--Ah, I still have to put this on here.  I think that Ms. Rowling really wrote an amazing series of books.  The plot, characters (and their development), and setting in a magical world hidden to the muggle world.  Harry Potter gets mentioned a few more times on this list.  So,  I'll be going into more detail there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment