Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back to School

I always loved the beginning of a new school year.  Just think about it:  How many jobs out there, can you basically start brand new/fresh after a 2 month vacation?  Not many. 

After my first year teaching, I decided that my second year would be at least ten times better.  And the reason why it actually was?  Because I was prepared. 

I don't think that teachers can be completely prepared for every single thing out there---life is way too crazy for that.  Students are unique and there will be different students that expected.  I remember my second year group of students, they were, what I like to say "quirky".  They were definitely different.  My third year group of students, were, if anything, better behaved, smarter, sassier and MORE quirky.  They were so weird (I actually think that goes for middle school students in general). 

Again, preparation is the key.  If you don't prepare, you're setting yourself up to fail.  Whoops.  I don't like that "F" word, but honestly, that is what happens.  I believe there are three different areas that you need to prepare for.  Honestly, as much fun as the summer is, that was the time that I actually had to work on making my classroom a safe, learning environment.  I didn't have time to make changes during the school year---that was way too hard for me.  Plus teachers and students get in habits, and it will be too hard to switch things up.  So here are the three areas to focus on when you're preparing for your school year. 

1)  Management-Procedures and Routines.  Consequences.  How are you going to teach your routines and procedures?  How much time do you dedicate to teaching these routines and procedures?  What about consequences?  It is so much easier to figure this stuff out BEFORE the kids get into the classroom than after. 

Also, figure out what you're going to have to type up and print out for your students to take home.  Some things that should be included are: Student Expectations, Procedures, Homework Policy, Consequences, Tardy Policy, Book List, Homework Expectations, Testing Expectations, Grading Policy, and a Curriculum Preview (what we'll be learning this year).  Sometimes teachers will lump all of these things into a disclosure statement or class syllabus.  Do what is best for you and your students. 

2)  Instruction-  Make a curriculum map, print and highlight your standards, get yourself a practice state exam, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at your textbook before the first day of school!  Make sure that you have a plan for teaching, whether it's an annual type of plan (curriculum map) or just a monthly guide of what you'll be teaching.  But, please try to make an outline of what you'll be teaching throughout the year. 

I would go through each unit, write down the theme, important vocabulary, root words and the stories that we were planning on reading (with page numbers---helps a lot guys!).  I would divide the units by the literary terms that the students were learning, and we would go from there.  In all the instructional planning you do, please always remember to refer to your state/district standards and curriculum. 

If you're a teacher, please read all of the novels/ short stories that you're planning on using in class to teach vocabulary, reading strategies or literary elements.  The students will know if you've read them before.  And it's always good to be one step ahead when you're planning. 

3)  Rapport-  I have to tell you, as important as management and instruction are, I think rapport is extremely important as well.  In order to effectively teach students, you need to have a good relationship with them.  I think the first week of school is an excellent time for lots of team building and class building activities. 

The students need to get to know you as well, so I would suggest having an introduction activity for yourself on the first day of school.  Either a PowerPoint, letting kids answer your questions or, find the fiction

One year I had students answer a bunch of questions about themselves on an index card (name, parent's name, phone number, favorite subject, favorite book, birthday, etc---for future reference).  I then asked them to write down a question that they had for me on the index card, any question at all that they may want to ask.  I only told them though, that after the first day, I would not answer any personal questions for the entire school year--this was there only chance.

The students enjoyed it and they asked me several things, including:  "Are you pregnant?" (I was about 7 months along at the time);  "What's your favorite animal?" (cheetahs); "What's your favorite color?" (red);  "How old are you?" (24--at the time); "Are you married?" (yes); "Are you mean?"  (yes, but only if you get in trouble/don't follow directions). 

Of course, being the literature teacher that I was in a low-income, high ELL population school, I answered all the questions in complete sentences. 

Look on the internet, look in books, there are tons of ideas.  This was my favorite book in college, and I thorougly enjoyed it!  Good luck on your first days of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment