Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Teacher Collaboration

Collaboration is a wonderful idea for teachers.  When teachers work together to set up procedures/routines/rules/curriculum maps/projects, there are one of two ways you can go.  First, your team can be a subject based team.  For example, this is most likely what you'll see in a high school or junior high setting. 

The first school I taught at, Landmark, I was a part of the Social Studies Department (or team).  At my second school, Mountain View, we were a Kindergarten-8th grade school, so things were set up a little differently.  We had only one teacher for each subject (with Resource teachers for math, language arts and reading, and an ELD specific reading/writing class called Read 180).  So the team I was on at Mountain View was the 7th grade team, and we would often collaborate/share ideas with our 8th grade team as well.  

Each type of department and team has it's benefits.  If you're team is grade level oriented, you can set up more common procedures, routines and rules.  This allows, in my opinion, more organized and well managed classrooms across the board (for the most part).  We did have teachers that did not follow these procedures, and while the Sevvies were great (behavior wise) in my class and a couple of my close friend's classes, they were like animals in the other classes.  Basically, they knew what they knew what classes they could get away with stuff in.

If your team is subject oriented, then you can set up more subject oriented events.  For example, with my classroom neighbor, George (also my mentor my first year teaching), helped me SO MUCH with setting up lessons and curriculum.  I really believe the only reason why I was still able to somewhat teach that year was because he was pulling me through by sharing what he was doing with his 7th grade history class as well.  On a subject oriented team, you can have common assessments, common curriculum maps, and common projects (we had a Social Studies fair at our Junior High). 

Both of these types of teams have their benefits, but I think it depends on the person.  More seasoned veterans are probably fine on either team.  They are okay with being a mentor for new teachers in regards to management (on a grade level team) or by helping with their wonderful curriculum ideas or projects (on a subject level team). 

My personal opinion on the matter:  Do what you have to.  Most of the teams are already set up in a specific way---when you go to a school, the type of team you're on isn't going to change.  But, you will need to learn and adapt.  Make the best of whatever type of team you're on and go with the flow.  If you're on a subject based team, but you're struggling with management (see MYSELF my first year teaching), then seek out the help of another teacher that is an excellent classroom manager.  Unfortunately my first year, I was too stubborn to ask for help before it was too late.  I had plenty of teachers that gave me advice that I have taken to heart from that first year teaching.  That advice helped me tremendously my next two years. 

The one thing I loved about the smaller, grade level team was that we all had the same students, and we could discuss their needs better.  And besides, on that smaller, grade level team, we had so many more meetings (at least once a week).  We really became close friends. 

I thought I'd finish this post by writing a list of ideas for making the best out of your team and future teacher collaboration:

1)  Have a good attitude---it can be so hard sometimes when it seems like you have heard the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER again!  If you need to do something to keep yourself from murmuring to your neighbor, then just zone out.  It's better to keep your opinions to yourself than to sow mutiny and discord amongst your fellow team.

2)  Go to your meetings and be active---This is so important.  You need to know what's going on.  And, if you have any say, suggest having the meetings as often as possible.  Okay, you might make enemies with different teachers, but becoming involved in the school and team is as important as staying in the classroom and teaching.  Take the intiative, take notes at meetings, and make suggestions.  If you don't participate in the conversation, then you have NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN when things don't go your way. 

3)  Help your fellow teammates---Offer to help.  Be positive, not negative.  Be responsible and respectful to your teammates and be willing to work with people.  If you have the opportunity, arrange for a sub (professional development) and go see other classrooms of your subject area or grade level and watch them teach.  Each teacher has their own, unique way of doing things and can share something helpful and informative with someone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment