Saturday, August 27, 2011

Literary Terms to Cover in Middle School

I thought I would just compile a list of literary terms and devices that I taught in 7th grade.  One of the things that I love about reading is that most of the students already have the base skills in literature and they're already aware of definitions and examples.  The challenge at the middle school and high school levels is building on that base knowledge, giving a student more challenging reading material and introducing newer and higher level literary devices to find and use.  I plan on taking each of these literary terms and devices and dedicating a post on how I taught that specific device in my 7th grade classes. 

Literary Terms and Poetic Devices in a 7th Grade Classroom
Plot- expostion, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution
Character- protagonist, antagonist, static, dynamic
Setting
Conflict- Internal and External 
Tone
Mood
Theme
Point of View- 1st person, 3rd person omniscient and limited, stream of consciousness
Hyperbole
Foreshadowing
Imagery
Metaphor
Simile
Onomatopoeia 
Meter
Rhyme
Rhythm 
Alliteration
Narration
Personification
Stanza

If you are teaching an English class, Language Arts or Reading class I would suggest brushing up on these terms.  I like having lists of what I am teaching to my students.  These are just the literary devices--- that is only a small part of teaching literature.  You also have all the non fiction, vocabulary, stories, spelling and writing to deal with as well.  

Part of being a successful teacher is 1) Knowing what you are supposed to be teaching (standards) and 2)  Knowing how you're going to teach each of those concepts.  

Start planning (if you haven't already) on how you're going to teach these devices and concepts this school year.  I hope I can help by posting ideas of what you can do for each one of these literary devices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment