Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Little Bit about My First Year

Rewind back 3-4 years ago for me. I graduated from college, landed my first teaching job in a low income, high crime, diverse area.  In late July I moved to Glendale, Arizona to get settled in my apartment and my first classroom.  My room was beautiful.  I had everything organized.  I had my procedures and class rules.  I had my first whole week planned!  I was so optimistic and incredibly naive!  It was wonderful the first few weeks, and then, I realized that the kids were just messing with me.

A picture of myself in front of my first school.  What a learning experience.
There were so many times that I tried to discipline students and they would sweet talk me.  There were so many times that I could have done something, but I didn't know what to do!   For example, what behavior warrants an automatic referral to the office?  What behaviors constitute detentions?  What behaviors earn a "timeout" to a different classroom?

I understood the concept and psychology behind teaching and student behavior.  But it is so much easier to say that you'll be a fantastic classroom manager than actually doing it.  I understood the idea behind "logical consequences" to actions.  But nothing seemed logical to me.  Everything seemed to harsh or it didn't seem to help the students at all.  I was constantly changing consequences for students.  I felt like I was drowning.  If one student wasn't acting up, then another was. 

Several teachers tried to help me.  But they all had DIFFERENT opinions on discipline and management.  Some were too strict, in my opinion.  Others, were too casual and relaxed.

I left the school district after that first year because I felt like it was the right choice for me.  It was a really sad, depressing first year of teaching.  I know that first years of teaching aren't the best for everyone.  But honestly, I was so tired, sick and exhausted by the end, I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay a teacher anymore.   I even gained 15 lbs that first year because of the stress! 

BUT instead of getting upset and quitting, I switched districts and landed a new job as a 7th grade Reading teacher.  I was absolutely, positively determined that my second year of teaching would be at least 100 times better than my first year of teaching.

And making the choice to keep teaching was the best choice that I could possibly make.   The difference between my first and second year were incredible.  Instead of drowning in water, I was walking on it.  I was helping students.  They were succeeding, and I was so much happier and energetic. 

As difficult, draining and upsetting that first year was, I took the experiences from it and I became a much better teacher and person.  I know this sounds cheesy, but NEVER GIVE UP!  There is always something to be learned in any situation, and by sticking it out and learning, you'll become a stronger and more effective teacher.

Because of my experiences at Landmark Middle School, I was able to be the best teacher possible at Mountain View School.

No comments:

Post a Comment