Monday, June 13, 2011

9 months of Hades

This title isn't referring to my 9 months of pregnancy in Phoenix, Arizona.  It is actually referring to the 9 months that was my first year of teaching.  From August 2007 until May 2008, I jumped into the world of teaching 7th grade Social Studies and Language Arts.  My middle school was completely different from any place I had ever been before, and I had no idea how to reach, teach, inspire or  even manage the students in my classes.  And they knew it!  I was drowning, barely holding on to the little control I had over my classes.  And it was the worst feeling in the world. 

Thankfully, the principals and other teachers didn't think it was as bad as I did so I wasn't fired midway through the year, and I took the experience as an opportunity to learn and grow.  In fact, I was so determined, that I told myself, that the next year I would be a lot better and I would not let those 7th graders decide my happiness and success in teaching. 

Teaching, like so much in life, is all about attitude. And attitude is what made the difference those next two year of teaching for me. I'm not saying that it's important to be happy go lucky when the kids are screwing around and being disrespectful, but how you approach the management of the students has as much to do with your manner as it does with the disciplining.  Yelling and screaming at those kids won't help them.  But proper management, with a positive attitude makes the difference in a classroom. 

I firmly believe the key to earning a student's respect is by handling student concerns, problems, and suggestions with firmness and a respect.  Like how I told so many of my students when I was teaching, "It's not what you're saying, but how you're saying it!"

It's not easy, and I've definitely made mistakes.  But your students will forgive you as long as  they know you respect and care for them.  Much more on routines, procedures, management and discipline to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment