Friday, May 3, 2013

Day 14: Favorite book by favorite author

I think the question is "What book don't I like by Roald Dahl?"

Well, I think that my favorite book is a toss up between The Witches, The Twits, The BFG, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, and Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes.  I like all of the books that I've read by him, and I still need to read a few more, but let's say The Twits and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  

I was first introduced to the story of Charlie Bucket when I was watching the movie Willy Wonka (you know, that classic one from the 70s).  My sisters and I really enjoyed it, and then I had figured out that it was a book (probably in 2nd or 3rd grade) and I devoured it.  I loved the book and the story.  And I loved candy... Maybe that was part of it as well.  I love how the main children (besides Charlie) are all products of indulgent parenting.  Even though Charlie was a poor kid, he was still happy because he had his family and it made him humble, and not so stupid.

And The Twits.  I just remember that when I read this story that one of the things that I read was that if people are mean and have ugly thoughts it will make them ugly.  And that's what happened to the twits.  It really was an amazing concept for me to understand when I read it (again sometime in elementary school). 

No comments:

Post a Comment